With the exception of Forest Hill Cemetery,
all other cemeteries in the Town of Attica were published in HISTORICAL
WYOMING throughout the years. For further
questions please contact Anita Ripstein Hayes (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Forest Hill Cemetery, Village of Attica:
Forest Hill Cemetery was created in the village when the Attica Cemetery Association was formed Sept. 29, 1868. The former cemetery on Exchange Street was becoming crowded. The new cemetery was dedicated September 29, 1870 being located on approximately 12 acres of land within the corporation of the village. During the month of October 1870, remains of many persons previously buried in the Old Attica Cemetery near the Erie Depot on Exchange Street and from many private burial grounds were removed to the new cemetery located on High Street. Older burials are located in the northwest sector of the cemetery. Today this is the largest cemetery within the Town of Attica. Not all burials are recorded on the Wyoming County Gen Site.
Forest Hill Cemetery is located on High Street in the Village of Attica which is also US Route 98. Approaching from the north on Rt. 98 (you are on Market Street) go under the viaduct and the cemetery is on your right as you leave the village.
Old Exchange Street Cemetery, just South
of Erie tracks, Village of Attica:
This site was the first cemetery within the village and now is occupied by the old Knitting Mill building. It was located just south of the Erie RR tracks on the east site of Exchange Street. Nothing remains of this cemetery today. Most all remains were removed to Forest Hill Cemetery in October 1870. During this time, remains were removed by family members to the new cemetery - some were not totally removed as in research of the history of the village there were accounts of remains being found at later dates when diggings for sewer lines, water lines, etc. undercovered some remains. These were then taken to Forest Hill and buried in unmarked graves.
Attica Center Cemetery, Town of Attica:
Shortly following the opening of the first cemetery within what was to become the Village of Attica, a burial ground was opened in the hamlet known as Attica Center. This area was settled as early as 1802. A cemetery association was organized June 13, 1817. Some of the stones that existed in 1948, when the tombstones were first copied,date to June 1813 but it is believed burial took place in this cemetery previous to this date.
This cemetery is located just west of the hamlet known as Attica Center on Cascade Rd. If traveling from the Village of Attica on Rt. 238 (Hall's Corners Rd), turn left on Cascade Road, cemetery is on your right.
Vernal Cemetery, Town of Attica:
Vernal Cemetery is a pioneer burying ground, surrounded by a pasture, in the southeast area of Vernal Corners, Town of Attica. Many of the stones are unreadable and many believe to be missing. Vernal Corners is located where East Main Street Road from the village of Attica crosses Vernal Rd. (Do not take Y to the right go to four corners).
Brainard Cemetery, Town of Attica:
Located about 2 1/2 miles east of the Village of Attica on East Main Street Road (highway leading to Vernal Corners). The property was given November 4, 1832 by Seymour Brainard for a burial ground and later further enlarged in 1875. The Brainard Cemetery Association was formed and incorporated in 1872.
Maxon-Lindsey Cemetery, Town of Attica:
This small cemetery is located on a hill, north of Earll's Crossing, on the east side of the Creek Rd (Rt 98) between the Village of Attica and Varysburg, just south of Austin Rd. Gravestones were first copied in 1926, 1941 and 1950 by local historians.
Schaub Cemetery, Town of Attica:
Small plot located on the southeast Corner of Exchange Street Road and Cascade Rd. Copied in 1941
Dunbar Cemetery, Town of Attica:
The cemetery is located on Hall's Corner Rd (Rt. 238), south of the Village of Attica adjacent to Attica Correctional Facility Property - just north of present day Dunbar Road. Transcribed 1941
St. Vincent's Roman Catholic Cemetery,
Village of Attica:
This cemetery associated with St. Vincents RC Church is located on east side of Exchange Street just before Attica Correctional Facility Property. Some information on Wyoming County Gen Site incorrect.
Eastman Cemetery, Town of Attica:
This cemetery is located a few rods west of the barn on the former Peter Eastman farm, about two miles south of the Village of Attica on Exchange Street Road and it presently a pasture. .When copied in 1941 stones were scattered, broken or buried. Land for this burial site was donated by Mr. Eastman during pioneer days. Some remains were removed to Forest Hill Cemetery in 1870.
South Attica Cemetery, Town of Attica:
This small cemetery is located on Exchange Street Road, south of the former Zion Evangelical Church, north of Glor Rd. The stones were copied in 1931 and 1941 and include members of the German community who settled in this area.
Town of Bennington Cemeteries
With the exception of Fairview Cemetery, all Town of Bennington cemeteries have been published in HISTORICAL WYOMING. For further questions contact Anita Ripstein Hayes (email@example.com)
Summit View Cemetery, Town of Bennington:
The area where this cemetery is located was the site of the first settlement in 1802 in the Town of Bennington and also all of Wyoming County. The area became known thru history as East Bennington, Danley's Corners, Hubbard's Corners or the Beehive. The location is where the present Geise Rd., Stedman Rd and Rt. 354 (Clinton Street Rd) form a triangle.
This cemetery site, located on Geise Rd, north of Stedman Rd, was used in pioneer times as a burial site. Some of the pioneers were removed to Forest Hill Cemetery, Town of Attica in 1870. The cemetery later came under the care of the East Bennington Evangelical Church located in this area. In 1888, the management of the cemetery was placed in a cemetery association.
East Bennington German Cemetery or Our
Help of Christians RC Cemtery, Town of Bennington:
Located on the grounds of the former Our Help of Christians RC Church, northeast corner of Ortner and Church Roads.The church was built in 1850 by German Catholic families who lived within the area. Previously the people met in homes or barns within the area as early as 1847 or traveled to St. Cecilia's RC Church in the Town of Sheldon.
Cemetery was copied in 1949.
Sacred Heart of Jesus RC Cemetery,
Bennington Center, Town of Bennington:
The cemetery is located directly behind the second Roman Catholic Church to be erected in the Town of Bennington. On October 29, 1872 the Sacred Heart of Jesus RC Church was consecrated and shortly after burial began at this site. Sacred Heart is located in Bennington Center on the south side of Rt. 354 (Clinton Street Rd). Was copied in 1975.
Maple Lawn Cemetery, Bennington Center,
Town of Bennington:
This large cemetery is located south of Bennington Center, west side of Rt. 77. The cemetery contains the graves of many of the pioneers of the town. Copied April 1952.
Maxon Farm Cemetery, Town of Bennington:
This cemetery is located on the former Maxon family farm, Maxon Rd., Town of Bennington. The stonewall that surrounded this abandoned farm cemetery has crumbed, stones fallen and trees have grown up. Some removals had been made. It was copied in 1953.
Folsomdale Cemetery, Town of Bennington:
This cemetery is located about a mile west of the hamlet known as Folsomdale on present day Kern Road.Many of the older stones are unreadable. Copied in 1949.
Cowlesville Village Cemtery, Town of Bennington:
This cemetery located north of the Village of Cowlesville on Lapp Rd was copied in 1950 and 1981. Contains many of the pioneers of this area first known as Clapp's Mills.
Fairview Cemetery, Town of Bennington:
This cemetery is located on Rt. 354 (Clinton Street Road) just west of Graff Road. This cemetery to my knowledge has never been copied. It is a fairly new cemetery.
In the 1980's, a tombstone was discovered on a farm located on French Rd, Town of Bennington. No other stones were found but this site was believed to be a pioneer burial ground of the area. Stone located was the wife of a Rev. War Soldier who was an early settler of this area.
Note: Many of the early Roman Catholic families of the southern sector of the Town of Bennington were buried in the St Cecelia's RC Church Cemetery, Town of Sheldon. Also many families in the southeast section of the Town of Bennington were buried in Varysburg Village Cemetery, Town of Sheldon. Also pioneers of the Town of Bennington living in the area of Turner's Corners, Town of Sheldon were buried in Persons Cemetery or Sheldon Center Cemetery, Town of Sheldon.
Town of Sheldon Cemeteries
All cemeteries with the exception of St. Cecelia's Old RC Cemetery, St. Mary's RC Cemetery, Thomas Family Cemetery, Johnsonburg cemetery and St. Joseph's RC Cemtery have been published in HISTORICAL WYOMING. For further questions contact Anita Ripstein Hayes (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Humphrey Hollow Cemetery, Town of Sheldon:
This cemetery was located to the rear of the long vanished Congregational Church in an area of settlement known as Humphrey Hollow which is located at the four corners of Humphrey Hollow Road and Centerline Rd. The church was located east of the four corners on the north side of Centerline Road and remains of this long abandoned cemetery can be seen. It was copied in 1949 along with a plot map loaned at the time. It contains many of the pioneers of this area.
Frink's Corners Cemetery, Town of Sheldon:
Another long abandoned cemetery of the settlement known as Frink's Corners. Located on the northeast corner of Rt. 77 (Cattaraugus Rd) and Perry Road. It was first copied in 1938 and again in 1951.
Sheldon Pioneer/Parsons Cemtery, Town of
Known to historians as the Parsons Cemetery and also the Sheldon Pioneer cemetery, this site is located on Rt. 20A (Big Tree Rd) west of the intersection of Rt. 20A and Rt. 77 (known as Turner's Corners or North Sheldon) on the north side of the highway at the brow of a hill. This area was first settled in 1804. The cemetery also contains the graves of some of the pioneers of the Town of Bennington.
Strykersville Pioneer Cemetery, Town of
This cemetery was opened soon after the first settlement in Strykersville and burials were regularly made until about 1867. It has long been abandoned. It was first copied in 1926 and again in 1848. Many stones were unreadable. Located on Perry Road, right side just outside the hamlet of Strykersville.
Thomas Family Cemetery, Town of Sheldon:
Located on the Thomas Rd on private land is the Thomas Family Cemetery. Copied during the 1930's.
Strykersville Cemetery/ Strykersville New
Protestant Cemetery, Town of Sheldon:
Following the closing of the Pioneer Cemetery in 1867, the first interment in this cemetery was made in June 1867. The grounds lay adjacent to St. Mary's R.C. Cemetery. First coped in 1950 and revised in August 1975. Turn right off of Main Street at the American Legion Post. Copied.
St. Mary Queen of the Rosary RC Church
Cemetery, Strykersville, Town of Sheldon:
This cemetery is associated with St. Mary's which was organized in November 1885. Two acres of land southwest of the village was purchased in 1887 for a cemetery. Turn right off of Main Street at the American Legion Post. Many of the early Roman Catholic families of Strykersville were buried in St. Cecelia's RC Church Cemeteries.
St. Joseph's R.C. Church Cemtery, Varysburg, Town of Sheldon:
This cemetery is associated with St. Joseph's RC Church located on Attica Street (Rt.98) in the village of Varysburg. The cemetery is located on the hill directly behind the church. Many of Varysburg's Roman Catholic Family were buried in St. Cecelia's RC Church cemeteries. Copied in 1980's.
Varysburg Village Cemetery, Varsyburg,
Town of Sheldon:
Located on the hill behind the north side of Main Street is the Varysburg Village cemetery. It has been the site of burials since the village was first settled. During the 1940's the cemetery was cleaned and "reorganized" by a cemetery committee and as a result many of the stones where not replaced directly over the graves but put back in "neat rows".
This cemetery was first copied during the 1930's, again during the 1950's and recently updated from the old burial books and newspaper files. It does appear on the Wyoming Co Gen Site.
Hoard Family Cemetery, Town of Sheldon:
This cemetery was located at the base of Buffalo Hill north of the intersection of Humphrey Hollow Road and Rt. 20A (Big Tree Rd). During the late 1930's, early 1940's, the remains were removed to Varysburg Village cemetery. It was here that the first interment was made in the Town of Sheldon. This cemetery was never recorded before remains were removed.
Sheldon Center Cemetery, Town of Sheldon:
This cemetery is believed to have been Varysburg with St. John's Episcopal Church organized in the Town of Sheldon August 26, 1811. In 1824 a church was built just east of the intersection of Centerline Rd and present Rt 77, in the area known as Sheldon Center. In Oct 1840 it was reported by the Diocese of Western New York that the church had been dispersed. The building burned during the 1860's during a political rally. It is believed that this cemetery was the resting place of many of Sheldon's early pioneers who were of the Episcopal faith. The cemetery was totally disappeared by the early 1900's giving way to the farmer's plow. Only one gravestone was ever recovered.
Johnsonburg Cemetery, Johnsonburg, Town
The cemetery is located west of the hamlet of Johnsonburg on Centerline Road. It was copied in 1951 and 1981. Contains many of the graves of the pioneers of this area of the Town of Sheldon and also the Town of Orangeville.
St. John's Dutch Hollow Cemetery, Town
Dutch Hollow is located north of Strykersville and south of Harris Corners where Dutch Hollow Rd and Centerline Rd. form a four corners. The cemetery located just west of the four corners on Centerline Road (on Goose Hill) is associated with St. John's Evangelical & Reformed ( United Church of Christ) Church. Many of the older stones bear German inscriptions and could not be deciphered in 1950 and 1968.
St. Cecelia's R.C. Church Cemtery, Town
This parish was the mother parish for many of the Roman Catholic churches that exist today in the western sector of Wyoming County. The first church, a log structure, was built south of the present church on the road known as Bartz Rd. Near this log church a small cemetery is located. The second church, a framed wooden church, was built on the northeast corners of Centerline Rd. and North Sheldon Rd in the area to become known as Straub's Corners. This site is now occupied by the large stone church. The cemetery connected with the church is located directly behind the structure. Due to the weather conditions in the Town of Sheldon, many of the early stones were not readable. This cemetery is listed on the Wyoming County Gen Site. It has been copied.
Return to Wyoming County Archives